Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Assignment 7

First off, I was very impressed with this video. It was very informative and creatively put together. I liked that everything was hand drawn and the cutout websites and graph. It takes a lot of practice to make sure all the props are where they need to be and on time with the narrator. So, kudos to Wendy Drexler!

Now, I think using social networking in the classroom is a great idea. They mention the use of blogs to obtain information. I know, personally, that I have learned so much in this class from reading other peoples blogs, and so does the student in this video. He mentioned that blogs are filled with more opinions than facts, and it helps students understand the topic more by starting discussions—I agree. I am, also, a big fan of audio books. I listen to my books while I’m driving. The use of the bookmarking sites is a convenient way for others to find/share information about the same topics.

Wendy Drexler's Exploring the Web 2.0

He asks the question: Why does he even need a teacher? Well, he also answers that question. His teacher teaches him how to build this network and take advantage of this learning opportunity. She is there for guidance and to teach him how to ask experts, respectfully, for their opinions. She is also there to motivate, encourage, and be excited for him when he finds the right content.

I will definitely use these different tactics in my classroom. I feel like this is something the kids will get excited about, rather than just staring at a text book all day. Granted, I’ll be in the classroom everyday and will be “lecturing”, but I would like to use the Internet, blogs, and the bookmarking sites to change the “scenery” in my classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Hi April,
    Good post, I agree with you on many things like using the different tactics in my classroom. Networking is very helpful for students it helps them think about their own ideas and how to solve them. Blogs will be a huge part in my class, I feel like it gives them the opportunity to be creative on their own time. Great post and very cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought, well written.

    What about part 2 of the assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear April,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I also, am fond of listening to audio books in the car. When reading your post, I tried to find a link to Ms. Drexler's video, but I couldn't find one.

    I like your suggestions for the implementation of the tools that are talked about in Ms. Drexler's video. I think that it's very important to balance independent or guided independent learning with other forms of learning.

    Finally, I noticed that you didn't post any information about the 7th Grader's PLE and the differences or similarities between it and your PLN. My understanding is that you can go back and complete anything that hasn't been completed and still get some credit for it.

    Best,
    Eleanor Pomerat

    ReplyDelete