Sunday, April 22, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts-- Special Post #12A

curiosity: it wont hurt to check it out.


     Dr. Strange asked us to come up with questions related to creativity, curiosity, and education. He got lots of great questions back, and I want to address them. I will be answering questions dealing with curiosity with students and how teachers can maintain that curiosity in the classroom, can a curriculum be developed to increase the creativity of students, and can other educators help out with getting children more curious.
     When asked the question: Do schools in the United States systematically destroy (or inhibit) the development of curiosity and/or creativity in students? If yes, why does that happen? If no, how do you counter the argument of Sir Ken Robinson that schools do undermine the development of creativity in students? No, I don’t think the schools prevent the children from being creative. Sure, there are rules they must follow that may not allow them to achieve their most creative ideas, but they can use their creativity to modify it and make it acceptable. Some kids don’t necessarily lack creativity; they’re just lazy. I struggle with this, myself. Almost all children are curious, and I don’t think the schools cripple them from wondering or prying.
     Can a curriculum be developed that increases the curiosity of students? If so, what would be the key components of such a curriculum? Teachers do everything they can to spark interest in their students. It takes a very creative educator to be able to target the interests of all their students and make them interested. Children would rather do anything than sit in a classroom. When I was in high school, my English teacher would take us outside and we would read. Sometimes that’s all students need—a little fresh air. As I’ve mentioned before, I think using games to get children involved is a great way to hold their interest and ignite their curiosity.
     Can a teacher's actions increase the curiosity of students? If so, what would be those actions? Absolutely! If I was to walk into my classroom with a box in my arms and I was be very protective of it, my students would definitely be curious. Inside that box could be their favorite math game, or a movie that could relate to our history lesson. It’s not so much what is in enclosed in the box, but the fact that I have a “surprise”. I could also “bribe” them with a surprise at the end of class if they behaved. That surprise could be 5 extra minutes of recess or homework passes. Children need incentives every now and then to hold their attention and keep them interested.
     What would help you become more creative? What role would teachers and/or schools have in that process? I think creativity is a gift and not everyone is blessed enough to have it. However, there are ways to apply new, creative ideas in the classroom. I also believe it is a group effort. There is always going to be a teacher that goes the extra mile and does have the creative juices flowing constantly. They can use this to their advantage and inform other teachers so they can get involved as well.
   These responses are my opinion, of course, but I appreciate the questions because it really got me thinking. I think teachers get too wrapped up in teaching the material, and don’t pay attention at whether or not the children understand it. We need to mix it up a bit and try new things. I’ve learned several different ways to hold the attention of my students. I just hope they wont be the only methods and I will continue to learn and/or create new ways to educate.

1 comment:

  1. Well, i don't ask for questions I asked students to think about the general issue and said that they would have an opportunity to report their thoughts.The questions I developed to guide students in their responses.

    What can I do about "lazy" students? When you become a teacher, what can you do with "lazy" students?

    I am glad the questions got you thinking. In my opinion, questions are more important that the answers. Just check the masthead of the EDM310 Class Blog!

    ReplyDelete