Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Assignment 5

Scott McLeod:
Dr. Scott McLeod

Dr. Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He is also the co-creator of a video series called Did You Know? (Shift Happens). Dr. McLeod is identified as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on school technology leadership issues for K-12. He and a colleague constructed the first graduate program to prepare “technology-savvy” school leaders. Dr. McLeod, also, blogs regularly about technology leadership issues.

I read his blog post: Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? There were several concerns I agreed with. However, it sounded, to me, like he is completely against children coming into contact with technology. He seemed very concerned with all the temptation that comes with it. I understand wanting the best for your children, but providing too much of a sheltered environment could do more harm than good. I think kids should be exposed to technology, in moderation. I will have privacy settings on my children’s computers and television sets, and there will come an age when they will need a cell phone. But, I am not going to keep them away from all of it because there’s a lot of good that comes with it, too.


Travis Allen:
iSchool

First off, I am an Apple guru. I love and own all Apple products from an iPod to a MacBook Pro. With that being said, I LOVE the idea of incorporating the iSchool into the schools. It will provide connivance for students, educators, and parents. All of the children’s textbooks can be on their iTouch device, so they don’t have to haul heavy books back and forth to school. As a future teacher, I like being able to have access to my student’s records on my phone. Also, I REALLY like the idea of allowing the parents the opportunity to monitor their grades without the constant e-mail or parent/teacher conference. I hope the iSchool comes to life; it’s brilliant!

We would have to increase the privacy settings to ensure security to the children’s records. Being able to access my grade book on my phone worries me, only, because I don’t want it falling into the wrong hands. Also, I don’t want my kids constantly texting or facebooking during class when their supposed to be working on their reading assignment. I’m sure Travis has taken that into account and has a solution for it. I know I would like to be a member of Travis’ team!


Eric Whitacre:
Eric Whitacre

Okay, that video was so neat! First off, how did he go about choosing those 185 singers? Secondly, I wish I could have been apart of it! They never rehearsed, and never met. That absolutely blows my mind. Throughout this semester we have learned about blogging, podcasts, and social networking. I would never have thought to use the Internet in this manner. It’s nice to expand the use of technology and not just focus on how we can use it the classroom, but how we can use it in general.


Kevin Roberts:
Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts is spot on when he says teachers aren’t the main source for knowledge anymore. You can get online and google any question you want answered. As future teachers, we need to incorporate different activities our kids can’t learn on their own. I think we should use wordle, podcasts, and blogs to expand their learning resources. Roberts was right when he said we have to teach them about copyrighting, plagiarism, and slander. Those things will help them throughout their academic careers and their futures. Children also learn by actions. Through our actions we need to demonstrate integrity, honesty, responsibility and reliability. Teachers don’t just teach multiplication, conjunctions, and the scientific method. They teach characteristics that mold children into young adults.


Reading Rockets:
Reading Rockets

This website has SO many teaching tools. I really liked the blogs about reading. Dr. Meier had helpful tips for parents and teachers when teaching young readers. I also really enjoyed the reading book list. It had a variety of different books that would attract all children. They had a statement that read: Sometimes it just takes one wonderful book to turn a kid into a reader. —I concur! I could definitely use the classroom strategies, especially as a new teacher. Overall, I thought this website was a very beneficial learning/teaching tool for teachers, principals, parents, and students. Thanks, Anthony!

3 comments:

  1. Hi April good job with your blog post. I enjoyed reading this. I can tell that you actually watched and read everything that was assigned to us. I also love your pictures and the writing that you choose for your blog. Good job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello April,

    Unfortunately (and I say this with sadness), you didn't seem to understand Dr. McLeod's post. He wasn't saying that technology was bad. In fact, he was saying the exact opposite using sarcasm. Dr. McLeod is one of the top minds in technological literacy for education. Your blurb about his background should have been a clue that he was being sarcastic.

    "Dr. Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He is also the co-creator of a video series called Did You Know? (Shift Happens). Dr. McLeod is identified as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on school technology leadership issues for K-12. He and a colleague constructed the first graduate program to prepare “technology-savvy” school leaders. Dr. McLeod, also, blogs regularly about technology leadership issues."

    Also, we've been noticing that students are crediting Google for their images, when you should be using the direct source where you found the image. You use Google to search for images, but if you click on the image it should take you to another website where it's hosted. That's the site you need to have in the TITLE tag.

    Other than those points, I found your post to be easy to read and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it didn't click that it was sarcasm. I thought the point of the assignment was to blog about our thoughts on what we read, even if it isn't "correct". Some of those who commented on Dr. McLeod's blog post didn't seem to catch on to his sarcasm, either. But thanks for clearing that up. I will work on the sources.

    ReplyDelete