Friday, February 17, 2012

Blog Assignment 4

Langwitches 1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook:

Audiobooks

First of all, I think this is the coolest thing! Teachers are always trying to find a way to get kids into reading, and this is perfect. I liked how she had a different noise when they were starting a new chapter. Some children have a tough time following along, and this gives them the opportunity to catch up without having to ask the teacher or a fellow peer. The children seemed to enjoy hearing themselves. She also mentioned they were experimenting with their voices. I talk very fast; hearing myself recorded could help me with my speed. I listened to the “Dinosaurs Before Dark” and the kids had so much character in their voices. Although, you can hear some kids were strictly reading, and not get into it as much as others. Nonetheless, I thought this was a wonderful idea and I would like to try it with my class, one day.

Langwitches Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting:

Smart board

I was very impressed with these students and their ability to pronounce these words and names. Their fluency was remarkable and inspiring. There are 8 year-olds that have trouble with English, and these kids are speaking Hebrew! I also thought it was neat that they recorded themselves out of order and had to arrange the sentences to tell a story. They really had to listen to the different clips in order to make sense out of the jumbled sentences. I never thought about using a smart board in this manner, but I would like to try it! I would have my students speak Spanish and maybe tell the story of Don Quixote. It’s nice to expand children’s knowledge about other cultures and languages. It’s something new and exciting to them, and they clearly enjoyed this activity.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale:

Podcasting

I didn’t realize how popular podcasting was. One of the benefits I saw was that students could see their reviews or lectures they might have missed while being out of school. Now, I don’t think there are many “Emily’s” out there, but they can watch the podcast to review the night before the test and their parent’s could help them understand the hazy parts. Podcasting also allows the children to be as creative as they want. It gives them the ability to really use their imagination while learning at the same time. One student mentioned that she liked how the videos are exciting and it makes the sound effects come to life. They are more entertained and the videos are holding their attention, rather than boring them. I will definitely use podcasting in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Donte' Todd and I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I thought your blog post was very informative and straight to the point. I am also a fan of the "read-along audio book" . I think kids would love to take part in something of that sort. I have to admit after I read your first paragraph, I was anxious to read the others. You have a very unique way of writing and I enjoyed your post. Make sure you remember to proofread your blog right before you press "publish", you would be surprised with the little mistakes you find. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello April,

    This was a great post. You did a marvelous job summarizing the posts you chose and you also (something other students forgot) included your thoughts about incorporating what you learned in your own classroom. But was there anything that you would use in your own podcast?

    ReplyDelete